Saturday 9 December 2017

Snow at the Sabres

It's 22nd of July 1954. Two RAF Sabre jets are returning from an exercise, on their way to their base; RAF Linton on Ouse. Above the north eastern flanks of Kinder Scout they collide in mid air. It's thought they misread the high ground, following a line over the reservoir. The pilots, Flying Officer James Desmond Horne and Flight Lieutentant Alan Green are both killed. The wreckage, strewn across half a mile from a point on the plateau down to Black Ashop Moor, is discovered three days later by a passing walker.

I was around eight months old at the time. Today, it's a cold, wintery December day, 63 years later. James and I are trudging over a thin covering of windblown snow towards the major part of the jets' remains. It's a night we've had planned for a while. Five of us, including Chrissie, and spurred on by her love of the supernatural, were to spend the night near the supposedly haunted site. As it turned out, an evil-looking weather forecast means that Chrissie has stayed at home with the dogs, we having decided it would be too cold for them, and two of our compatriots had failed to arrive due, mainly, to fears of bad road conditions. Hence, five plus three dogs, is reduced to me and James (James also thought it too cold for Reuben).

We leave our house at midday and take a route over Middle Moor, past Chadwick's Cabin and White Brow and up William Clough. There's some sun trying to break through.








Mindful of my experience with cold hands a coupla weeks back, I've a newly sorted bag of gloves in my sac. Three pairs of thin thermal gloves, two pairs of lined waterproof ones and my Extremities waterproof and fleece mitts now form my hand-protection armoury. Ironically, I've carried something similar in my daysack for years but had been far too frugal when backpacking. I've spent no money on extra hand wear. I'm wearing thin fleece gloves for the initial climb, adding the thinner of my lined gloves only when I feel the need. I remove the lined gloves, leaving them dangling on their wrist loops, if my hands start to sweat. It's a juggling act, but it works.

Around 3 pm we reach  Ashop Head and start out across the moorland waste towards the point I've marked on Viewranger; the crash site. It's some years since I was last here, on a MRT training exercise.


Locating the site, we find a small memorial on one part of the wreckage.



Out of respect for the site, we choose a pitch a short distance away.



James' clever weather thingy tells us it's around minus 2C with a windchill effect of minus 7C. Cold, but nowhere near as bad as the forecast had been. We both agree, had we known, the pups would all have been fine. Oh well. Weather forecasts eh?

I filter water and, as my fingers begin to chill, I'm into the tent and warmth of my winter down sleeping bag. My hands soon warm and I've coffee on the go, now wearing dry fleece gloves. With some of Chrissie's fine home-made flapjack I'm munching and supping contentedly. Apart from throwing the occasional comment at each other through the cold air, James and I remain, ensconced in the protection of our respective shelters.

I dine on Idahoan Cheesy mashed potato and Dolmio bolognese sauce, followed by some of those fruity survival biscuits in custard. That lot's helped down by a somewhat chilled drop of red wine (maybe more than a drop). 

My tiny Treadlite lantern holds the darkness at bay.


I watch iPlayer including a feature film; "The Lighthouse". The true story of the Smalls Island tragedy of 1801, which resulted in a change from two to three man lighthouse crews thereafter. Highly recommended. Available for 10 more days.

The night is clear, cool and fairly still. From time to time I hear unusual sounds. First a single, long, shrill whistle. Much later a dog barking. It's dark and late. Who'd be up here with a dog. Only a search dog handler but there's no sounds of the shouted or whistled instructions I'm familiar with as a former handler. Nor the associated sounds of search parties. Just before 9pm there's a sharp, distant explosion. Each of these noises could have a logical explanation but, suffice to say, the crash site is known for strange sounds. And then there's the tale of a fellow MRT member who, on a night exercise, saw a man in uniform close to the Sabre wreckage on the plateau (of which he was unaware). He wasn't known for flights of fancy and only divulged this quietly to Chrissie, some time afterwards. It had troubled him. Make of all this what you will. I try to be open minded. I tend towards a belief that locations may hold a memory which, under certain circumstances, might be replayed, much like a recording.

The morning brings mist. Tent flysheets are covered in a thin layer of ice, inside and out.




After breakfast, and a relaxed second coffee, we pack.


A walk over the plateau is off the agenda. James has an understandable concern for his journey home across the Peak District. It's started to snow and there looks like more to come. The sky is heavy with that milky, foreboding grayness. Instead we decide to return via Burnt Hill.

James snaps me heading across the open moor, into the snow.


Then to Ashop Head...


...and we're off east towards the Liberator wreck site, where we stop and munch goodies.



Goggles make the wind blown snow more bearable and microspikes help on the slippy flagged bits of path.


Making our way back into Hayfield's like walking into a Christmas card scene.


And, some 24 hours after we left, we're back, warming ourselves with coffee and cheese on toast.

There's no finer way to spend 24 hours than in the wilds, in the company of a friend.

Smile!







  

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, looks like the weather stayed ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Compared to serious winter stuff it was quite benign Ian.

      Delete
  2. Was that five pairs of gloves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like you both had a great time! Sometimes odd noises in the night just cannot be explained?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. One's imagination can run riot, alone, in a tent, in the darkness...

      Delete
  4. I had a weird experience when pitched by the bit of wreckage from that crash on Kinder proper. Felt like something right above my head, remember my tent being sprayed by gravel like stuff. Had a look shorty after and i could see lots of lights at top of Snake Pass, not moving, twas late at night. Best explanation was an helicopter that landed on the road and flew above my head very low. Milirary excerise? Never saw a mention by Mrt of an incident or media report about a car crash needing a chopper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a little strange Yuri, to say the least.
      "There are more things in heaven and earth,Horatio..."

      Delete
    2. Felt like something flew right above my head, noisily...original post was typed a bit fast lol

      Delete
    3. Hmmm...yes, got that. Very mysterious.

      Delete
  5. Always enjoy your adventures Geoff. The whistle and the bark is an intriguing thought, I must say. It's a pity the full party didn't go, but better to be safe rather than sorry. Pictures are spot on as usual. Until the next one mate. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. Always pleased to read your kind comments pal. I wish you and your family a super Christmas and New Year.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Geoff. Wishing you, Chrissie and all of your family a goodyin when it comes mate. And thank you for the excellent blogs this year.

      Delete
  6. I was out walking in the Black Mountains with mu son on Saturday in the snow. I mentioned how great it would be to camp out in the snow and wake up in the winter world. He said nothing but gave me a look that said "time for your medication old man" :)
    Great report and a great concept for a night out. I've walked past the various wreckage sites many times and always find them spooky even though I'm a fully paid up sceptic. Weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. You do have to be a certain kind of daft to want to camp in such conditions, I agree. But there's a sense if challenge and accomplishment to manage it in relative comfort. You should try it, at least once.

      Delete
  7. Hi Geoff, can I ask another Tent question please.....In photo 17 it looks like the Sides of the Southern Cross 1 are blowing-in, even though it is pointed end into wind. Yet James's Scarp does not look like the wind is touching it!?

    How does the Southern Cross 1 compare to the Scarp?

    Is the Scarp a lot bigger inside or is there not much difference?

    The Scrap is on my short list, but I thought the main pole used by the Scarp is is quite large and would blow-in (YouTube video of it blowing in on CatBells, but it was a windy night).... from the photos here I'd say the Scarp might take more wind than the SC1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes they do blow in.
      I'm not in the business of persuading you to buy a SC1 but, for what it's worth, I'm happy give you my opinion.
      I've never used a Scarp but they're well liked, as is the SC.
      The hydrostatic head of the flysheet on a Scarp is 1200mm. Some say that's not quite waterproof and I've heard of folk saying they can allow water through in the form of misting.
      The SC fly has a hydrostatic head of 6000mm and the groundsheet is 10000mm. Can't find a figure for the Scarp but I know of them letting water through with age.
      The SC has 6 feet on the ground, which makes it very stable, notwithstanding the potential for movement on the sides.
      The Scarp has only 2 feet too even if you carry, and use, the supplementary poles, which don't reach the ground.
      Again, given how waterproof the SC fly is, I doubt you'd get any rain through it, even if it touched the inner. Could be some transference of condensation though.
      Size? Not sure about the Scarp but James is 6ft tall and reckons a SC1 might be too small for him.
      Any backpacking tent will present some form of compromise, given low weight is an isuue/requirement. At the end of the day you have to decide which features are most important to you. Good luck.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for that Geoff, I'm a bit closer to buying a SC1 now!

    As well as the Scarp I'm also considering an Akto or a Pyramid shelter like the Wickiup3..... decisions....decsions.... as these things cost so much money I wana make the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth I'd say the Akto's a bit dated now. Bad for condensation. Very flappy. We have an Enan for lightness and 3 season use and that suffers from those effects too.

      Delete
    2. James had a Wickiup 3 for a couple of years, then sold it.

      Delete
    3. I've had both an Akto and a Scarp 1. Scarp wins hands down. Oh, and I'm 3 inches taller than James and find both headroom and length excellent. And never had water ingress even in really stormy conditions.

      Delete
    4. Understood David. It was the SC1 which James thought too small for him.

      Delete
  9. ...Oh just a thought, if you count the small poles in the corners of the Scarp, and I guess you should, then it has 6 feet on the ground too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome but please be patient. Thanks to recent rudeness on here I have reinstated moderation. Hence, your comments will appear after I've approved them. Thanks for taking the trouble to visit my blog.