Thursday 24 May 2018

My journey as a potential living kidney transplant donor, part 1

I'm off on a big journey in a coupla weeks (see here) but this week I made the decision to embark on an even more significant journey.

My friend Jamie is suffering with chronic kidney disease. This has reached the stage where, for months now, he's been taking a trip three times a week to be hooked up to a dialysis machine at Morriston Hospital, near his home in South Wales. The process each time takes three hours but that doesn't include the waiting time before Jamie is connected to the machine, nor his travelling time each day. In short, on each of the three visits, Jamie's day is pretty much done. Thank God though for the efforts of the team at the hospital, without which I can't imagine Jamie's plight.

I first met Jamie over two years ago. He contacted me via Twitter for some help with outdoor kit. At the time he was beginning Mountain Leader training. Jamie came over to our home in the Peak District a couple of times. On his second visit we enjoyed a short backpack together, which you can read about here. Both Chrissie and I hit it off with Jamie as soon as we met him. I was struck by his openness, sincerity and kindness. Jamie does a lot of work helping charities, especially Chron's and Colitis UK. Be assured, Jamie is one of the good guys.

Here's a couple pics of Jamie enjoying the outdoors with me back in 2016.  Our aim is to be out there again together, soon.



Since that trip in 2016 I haven't seen Jamie, but we've kept in contact as I've sadly, watched his health fail from a distance. As soon as I realised Jamie was on dialysis I began to wonder if I could offer him one of my kidneys. I knew nowt about the process but, on Monday this week, I spent some time researching it on the internet. After an hour or so, I shared the thoughts with Chrissie. I'd not mentioned it to her before, so she was surprised but, as ever, being the epitome of kindness, supportive. I grasped the bull by the horns and contacted Jamie, by direct message on Twitter. I felt too emotional to phone him. And, within 24 hours, I was in contact with Suzanne, the Renal Live Donor coordinator at Morriston Hospital.

This morning I had a lovely chat with my friend Jamie. He was in the dialysis unit, waiting. We shared some thoughts and I checked with him that he was happy for me to blog about this journey and for me to refer to him by name. Both Jamie and I are of the same mind. Anything that can be done to raise awareness of the effects of chronic kidney disease and the concept of a live donor transplant is fine by both of us. Hence my writing. In my book, if we can help persuade just one more person to embark on such a journey it'll be a job well done.

I'm not gonna detail the stuff about live donor transplants cos it's all here on the NHS website. Read it at your leisure. All I'll say is, most of us have two kidneys...but we only need one of 'em. What I would like to do is take you on this journey with me. I'll try my best to give you a step-by-step walk through the process as it happens to me.

I hope for a good outcome. I'm looking forward to a series of tests to make sure:
a. I'm a compatible donor for Jamie and
b. I, and especially my kidneys, are in good enough health for a transplant to take place.

Two other key bits of info here:
1. You can donate a kidney without specifying a donor. It's known as being a non-directed altruistic kidney donor and
2. If I don't match Jamie but everything else is ok, Jamie and I can be paired with another donor and recipient who have the same problem and effectively, swap donors. In that case, the end result is the same. Jamie gets his transplant AND a bonus - someone else does too!

So, the start of my journey.

Having contacted Suzanne by email and phone on Wednesday, she sent me a health questionnaire which I've completed and returned. She also, with my permission, contacted my GP who will also be sent a questionnaire. Today, I received a package in the post to get a blood sample locally. I have an appointment with a nurse tomorrow at my GP surgery for this and the results will be sent to Suzanne.

Jamie and I only know that the process of testing will take "months". And of course I'm in France for 5 weeks, when little can happen. But join me, if you will, by following my blog for further updates. Warning, you may have to put up with my lesser journey across France along the way. I hope it might make you smile.



Best wishes to my friend Jamie.

To read the whole story go to my kidney donation page which you can access on the left side of this blog.



14 comments:

  1. That is amazing Geoff. What a wonderful thing to do, I admire you for doing such a kind act. Please, please keep us posted. Wish Jamie all the best from me. Maybe i could offer a kidney too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. It's not for everyone but if more folk just considered it many more sufferers could be helped.

      Delete
  2. Crikey Geoff. That is incredibly selfless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Though it's nowhere near as big a deal as Jamie has to contend with. Save for a week or so sat on my arse it'll cost me nowt.

      Delete
  3. Phew. Very brave. I wish you both well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez Geoff, what an amazing thing to do! So pleased for Jamie and this chance. And the education has started, I had no idea this was possible, I thought it had to be a relation or something. There needs to be much more known about this. I shall follow your journeys with interest and hope. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your comment adds to the worth of my post. People don't know. But YOU do now. Please spread the message far and wide.

      Delete
  5. That is a very generous and unselfish act to offer your kidney. My dad had a kidney removed due to cancer and but thankfully the other was fine. We need more organ donors and it's so simple to register your wishes . Did mine when my driving license fell due for renewal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek. Your Dad had a close shave. And you're right. I'm on the register too 👍

      Delete
  6. Inspirational stuff Geoff, best wishes to you and Jamie. My Dad lost a kidney in his twenties and he's now in his eighties and never had a problem since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Good to hear your Dad's story.

      Delete
  7. I make a very conscious effort not to swear, but your selfless and amazing decision deserves a big "bluddy 'ell Geoff, that's awesome'.

    After watching the transplant episode on the recent 'Hospital' series from QMC in Nottingham I made sure both husband and I are signed up to be organ donors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I'll forgive your swearing and well done both of you.

      Delete

Comments are always welcome but please be patient. Thanks to recent rudeness on here I have reinstated moderation. Hence, your comments will appear after I've approved them. Thanks for taking the trouble to visit my blog.