Sunday 13 January 2019

Kidney donation, part 12

Back in May last year, when I decided to offer Jamie one of my kidneys, I knew it would be a long process but I did hope it would be completed by the end of the year. It has, however, taken a little longer than I anticipated, but we're almost there.

Last Tuesday I cycled into Manchester for the final time on this journey. I had my routine pre-operative assessment; bloods, urine, weight, height, blood pressure, ECG and a long questionnaire. All seemed to go well.

I also had the first in a series of MRI scans to begin my part in research I've agreed to, looking at the performance of the remaining kidney following transplant.

Typically, on the last ride there, I had a puncture, thankfully only minutes away from the hospital.

I've just finished packing the car for the journey down to Swansea tomorrow. This really is the last step before I go in for the op. I have an Airbnb booked for tomorrow night, not wishing to make the 200 mile drive twice in a day. I'm looking forward to having dinner with Jamie and his parents in the evening.

On Tuesday, I'm off to Morriston Hospital in Swansea. Jamie tells me it's not the best place to park so my road bike's in the car and I have a bit of a circuit planned for the morning, taking in the hospital. The folk at the Airbnb are happy for me to leave my car there. First I'll meet Suzanne, who was my first contact in this journey back in May. She will take blood samples for a final cross match with Jamie before the operation. After this I'll be meeting Jamie again and we'll have an appointment, together I think, with an independent assessor to check that the donation complies with the Human Tissue Act, crucially that no payment is involved. I believe we both have to sign a declaration.

And, hopefully, that's that. Next stop will be my admission to Manchester late on the 18th February in preparation for the operation the following morning. I'm expecting to be there for 3 or 4 days ish. It all depends on how I am. Jamie's operation will be that same afternoon after my kidney has been hurried down the motorway system to Cardiff, where, I'm sure, he'll be waiting excitedly.

Thanks for reading and following this journey. Find previous posts by clicking "older posts" at the bottom of this page or working your way through the menu on the left side of the page.

Thanks for all the kind messages to both of us along the way. Next time you hear from me on this subject the op will be done. Let's hope for the most positive of outcomes so Jamie can re-engage with his love of the outdoors and an active, enjoyable life.

Here's a daft pic from my Channel to Med ride last summer as an added incentive to my friend Jamie.


Live live to the full and...smile!

To read the whole story go to my kidney donation page which you can access on the left side of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome but please be patient. Thanks to recent rudeness on here I have reinstated moderation. Hence, your comments will appear after I've approved them. Thanks for taking the trouble to visit my blog.